James Phillips is a founding partner of Katz & Phillips, P.A. and an experienced trial attorney in the field of criminal defense. His past work experience and educational achievements have prepared him to provide a vigorous legal defense to clients accused of impaired driving and other criminal offenses. He founded Katz & Phillips, P.A. to offer clients an opportunity to have an experienced legal team advocating for them to help reduce charges or avoid convictions.
Mr. Phillips knew from an early age that he wanted to be an attorney; however, as he obtained his undergraduate education, he also decided to explore his interest in science. His educational background includes:
- Earning a Bachelor of Science in Biology from the University of Southern Mississippi
- Earning a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of Southern Mississippi
- Earning a JD from Mississippi College of Law
- Working as a Certified Legal Intern for the Rankin County Prosecutor during his third year of law school
Mr. Phillips was selected to work as a legal intern by the Rankin County Prosecutor, and he worked as the lead prosecutor in 14 DUI trials during this time in law school.
After earning his JD from Mississippi College of Law, Mr. Phillips relocated to Florida and continued to build upon the base of knowledge he had developed working as an intern for the County Prosecutor. His work experience includes time both on the prosecutor’s side of the table and as a defense attorney, providing him with unparalleled insight into how DUI cases are charged and prosecuted. His past work experience within the public and private sectors includes:
- Serving as an Assistant States Attorney for the 1st and 18th Judicial Circuits, prosecuting thousands of cases with a heavy emphasis on DUI.
- Becoming the youngest attorney to be promoted to a Senior Associate while working in a criminal defense firm in the private sector. His position resulted in Mr. Phillips being assigned as lead attorney when defending all major felony crimes for the firm.
- Writing multiple training manuals for DUI and Criminal Defense Trial Strategies, which are used by criminal defense attorneys nationwide.
- Publishing books and manuals in the field of DUI and criminal defense.
- Serving as the key speaker at multiple state and national DUI seminars, offering training to other attorneys.
Mr. Phillips has dedicated his law practice to DUI defense and to representing clients accused of major felonies such as sex crimes and federal offenses. He also provides representation in cases involving misdemeanors, property crimes, terrorism, Internet crimes, white collar crimes, life-felonies, murder, and manslaughter cases.
Because of his extensive experience with serious felony charges, Mr. Phillips is frequently sought out by other attorneys to act as co-counsel in complex DUI and sex crimes cases. He has also earned accolades including a Superb Rating from AVVO, which is the highest level an attorney can obtain. Mr. Phillips also received the client’s choice award from AVVO for 2012 and was selected by Orlando Style Magazine as one of “Central Florida’s Best Attorneys” for 2012.